All that glitters must surely be from Essex

All that glitters must surely be from Essex
Oil and glitter on canvas

Monday 25 November 2013

Decisions.....decisions......

In my last post I shared that for the first time in a really long while, I'm going to be working on 2 paintings at the same time.

  Now...this isn't life-changing, it won't rip apart the fabric of time and space, but it is quite a change in process for me.  I usually like to give one painting a time my full and undivided attention.  For some strange reason I really want to get another piece underway so thought, whatever- go with.

And so I charged around the ruins, taking photographs of every corner, wall, and doorway.  It was a beautiful, bright and crisp November afternoon and the winter sun helped to create some effective shadows across the walls.



It was very atmospheric.  From the remains of beautifully crafted doors and windows I really got a sense of the place it must have been before the Reformation.  

Even after taking its final battering during the Civil War, there is still plenty left to conjure visions of its former glory.  Ordinarily, I would know within minutes, which part to paint, but seriously....I really have no idea.  

Over the next couple of weeks I will make some sketches to see if a particular part speaks to me.  


I am sure it will, but one thing is certain, after spending some quiet contemplative moments in such a beautiful place...


I can't wait to start this painting - I hope I can do it justice.


Come back in a few days for the first sketch!





No comments:

Post a Comment